The New Castle in is a royal palace of Augustus III of Poland and Stanisław August Poniatowski where the famous Grodno Sejm took place in 1793. New Hrodna Castle is 116 metres (381 ft) above sea level.
The royal residence was built on the high bank of the Neman River at a little distance from the Old Hrodna Castle. The two castles are joined by a 300-year-old arch bridge.
Scarcely anything is left of the original fabric of the castle, whose refined Rococo detailing vanished during World War II. There followed a hasty and rather superficial refurbishing of the palace by the Soviets in 1952.